Monday, June 10, 2013

Entry #2: The Social Media Bandwagon


Ah, social media. The biggest technological craze to happen in recent years, and the membership on these social media sites keeps growing as I type. Social media affects many people because of the way communication is distributed, whether it be an important message from a family member or just to say hello to a friend. But perhaps the most important use of social media in our society today is how businesses are marketed based on social media factors.The video below demonstrates the main cause.

I believe that this video about how social media is changing the marketing structure in business advertising would be interesting in my English class because not only are we talking about technology in general, but also how technology has influenced our lives, even in what we buy. With the use of social media, every Facebook page we like and Twitter account we follow helps advertisers target us on our social media pages so that they can convince us to buy products from a certain business.


The growing use of social media causes business to shift their gears in order to advertise a product, a TV show, a company, etc. Businesses have their own websites, but now they must rely on social media in order to get traffic on their websites.

Overall, this goes to show how businesses can adapt to change in market structure in order to keep up with our society as we know it.

Of course, just because businesses are getting "social", that doesn't mean the people involved in businesses are getting social with each other.



4 comments:

  1. Social Media does affect the way business gear their audiences. I love your blog. I see almost every bushiness advertise Facebook. "FIND US ON FACEBOOK" Great blog!
    Facebook is even on spell check! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for liking my blog post! I sometimes pay attention to television ads, and in some of the ads that I have seen, the social media icons(mainly for Facebook, Twitter, and occasionally Instagram)are down at the bottom of the screen.

      - Kate

      Delete
  2. You make a good point. I wonder how businesses would even survive if they weren't able to use social media to attract people. I'm one of those people who doesn't follow or "friend" companies that I like and I don't think I'm the only one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since the media in general always makes a big deal out of social media nowadays, I don't think most businesses would be able to survive. Plus, businesses rely on internet ads to grab the attention of potential customers. However, I would be impressed if there is a business out there that doesn't rely on social media pages to be popular among its customers, but I have a feeling that a business like that would be in the minority.

      - Kate

      Delete